Saturday, July 18, 2009
The EREC "smoke" category reflects an epublisher that may be in trouble. It is usually based on one or more of the following reasons: non-payment or severely delayed payment, unreasonable contracts terms, or multiple reports of unprofessional behavior (abusive language, inadequate editing etc). Low sales volume is not a key factor but can be part of the overall picture. I haven't added any new presses to this category recently but a few are, IMHO, getting closer and I would be interested in your thoughts.
* Delayed payment, term of copyright contract (not always negotiable), declining sales, general peculiar behavior (e.g. suing Borders).
* But still one of the best paying markets.
The Wild Rose Press
* A few specific complaints, really low sales
* But mostly not all that many complaints, many authors publicly satisfied with this press.
* Ongoing delays and glitches.
* But while the problems are persistent they seem mainly overwork rather than lack of clue per se.
* Non-standard contract with long terms and invoicing requirements and low sales.
* But contract is apparently negotiable upon request and the press is new.