Tuesday, March 27, 2012
[Formatting seems to be a bit mangled, I did my best to fix it]
We would like to start a special interest chapter of Romance Writers of America for Ethno-cultural Romance named “Diverse Hues”.
- We aim to be a strong voice and advocate for ethno-cultural romance
- We aim to be a place of tolerance and promote diversity
- We aim to bring awareness to publishers and agents about the significant reader’s [singular? Must be a very significant reader.] market/interest in ethno-cultural romance.
- Contests for both unpulished and published writers open to members and the public to promote the genre
- We aim to hold an award ceremony as a part of the RWA National conference.
- Loops (Groups) in place for published/unpublished authors to share and support each other.
- A newsletter
- A members’ critique group.
- Host workshops for both unpublished and published writers, members and non-members.
- Dues would cover attending a Diverse Hues online workshop per calendar year of members choosing.
- Host agent, publisher, and editor pitches.
As a special interest chapter we'd advocate for the genre, authors, aspiring authors and their diverse books and strive to be a strong voice of this emerging genre, Ethno-culture Romance. We are reaching out to authors/aspiring authors in this category. We'd love for you to be a part of us. For us to complete the application to start a specialty chapter we need fifteen members. We are hoping you will be counted in.
How we define Ethno-Culture Romance:
Ethno-culture Romance novels that focus primarily on the romantic relationship and revolves around Interracial, Multicultural or Cultural aspects of the character(s),location or theme(s)
What is meant by Interracial, Multicultural or Cultural:
Interracial: conducted, involving, or existing between different races. (MORE THAN ONE racial group.) Which includes interracial (character(s)) of multiple ethnic, cultural or religions heritage/ancestry. This is a
tolerant and respectful place for all. That means that language shall be respectful and geared to general audiences. We reserve the right to refuse comments, books, authors and individual who do not adhere to respect and tolerance while on our site.
Multicultural: of MORE THAN ONE culture relating to, consisting of, or participating in the cultures of different countries, ethnic groups, or religions.
Cultural: of a particular social, ethnic, religious group; Which is includes characters of the SAME CULTURAL group (such as Native American, African American, Hispanic… and other cultural groups)
A Central Love Story: The main plot centers around two individuals [not tolerating poly-amorous diversity?] falling in love and struggling to make the relationship work. A writer can include as many subplots as he/she wants as long as the love story is the main focus of the novel.
An Emotionally-Satisfying and Optimistic Ending: In a romance, the lovers who risk and struggle for each other and their relationship are rewarded with emotional justice and unconditional love.
Once we have 15 interested individuals we will fill out the application for special chapter status. If we can have more than fifteen interested that’s even better. This will be presented at the July meeting. If they approve
our application we will have a busy year ahead of us.
If you are interested in becoming a member of RWA and having a specialty chapter for Ethno Cultural romance, we need you. We are also looking for team leaders to support the board within this proposed chapter and general members.
Please respond with your name, email information, if you are interest in supporting the board and let us know if you are currently a RWA member and any questions you may have to diversehues[at]gmail.com.
(a.c. Mason (Mason), Theresa Breaux, and Ambrielle Kirk)