Wednesday, January 09, 2013
Just for laughs I decided to look up some of RDD Books editorial (not customer) reviews as posted on AllRomanceEbooks.
Cat Devoured: George Ellis Winsome - Colman Book Blog Meeting, Jim Henson Shapeshifters Book Club Rosemont, Kathy Holder, Historical and Shifters Lit Blog.
I can understand a secret book club full of people who don't use the internet (although it does stretch belief), but not a secret blog. None of these people or entities show any evidence of existing online.
Crushed Desire in Big Bear Creek: Benson and Rawles - Cowboy Stores for Adult Camp, Jim Henson - Gay Erotica for Winter Reads Blog Jan, Cowboy Gay Literature - Winter 2012-13 Blog
More people and groups with zero online footprint and it becomes more noticeable that all the reviews are written in the same voice. e.g. writing numbers as numerals, fond of exclamation points. The name 'Jim Henson' (a good name to puppet with?) pops up again for another site.
Wolf Pirate:C. J. Cavanah - Gay Wolfen Blog
Ambush in the Wolf's Den: Joel Craine - Cowboy SH Magazine, Kevin Rutner - Shapeshifting Blog Reads
The socks are starting to run out of ways to put 'hot' and 'sex' in a three sentence review with any pretense of originality.
Reading on I find that books in a series have identical reviews. I guess it got dull inventing new ones when you could just copy and paste. All of the review are short, badly written, and glowing with praise of a similar type.
My conclusion is that these reviews were written by the publisher and distributors including ARE and Amazon are perpetuating the lie.
As for the books themselves they are continuing with the strategies of attributing lazily 'updated' classic to modern authors whose names are a lot like other authors (Michelle Willow, Stephen A Heche etc). You can spot the bits that have been added by the number of typos in them:
- Compelled by Blood./ Stephen A Heche = The Power of Mesmerism / Anonymous (1891)
- Trapt desire in a Shore House / Bethany Ratner = The Empty House And Other Ghost Storiesby Algernon Blackwood
- Cat Devoured: "Timothy pressed Marcus down onto the floor with his paws prssing into his chest and gave his fTimothy and chest long licks as he shifted to man to use hands" (this is from the excerpt right on the sale page.)
- Crushed Desire in Big Bear Creek = Cupid From Bear Creek/Robert E. Howard (1935)
- Wolf Pirates = The Offshore Pirate/Scott Fitzgerald
- Haunted Shadows Passion = The Empty House/Algernon Blackwood
- Desire Lost Love = People of the Dark/Robert E Howard
- The Willows = Vera
- Johnny and Ray = The Young Trail Riders